Sunday, August 23, 2009

Back From the Dead

WOW. I knew it had been a long time since this blog had been updated, but I just realized my last post is dated from DECEMBER of last year... yikes! I think we have taken procrastination to a new level.

It's not for lack of interest! Actually, Mo and I have been batting around ideas for months, each one more ambitious than the last. Trip to the Japanese tea gardens? Let's do it! Tea tasting in Chinatown? Of course! Pilgrimage to a remote Chinese village in order to pluck the very first virgin tea bud of the year, brew it right there in the field and pour it out as an offering to the Tea Gods? Er...someday.

Ok, so let's say we were low on REALISTIC ideas.

Anyway, it's back to basics for me (I'll leave the fancy journalism to Mo). And in my usual rambling style, I'll now attempt to say something insightful while really saying nothing at all.

So my friend Thomas--who I'm now dubbing Official UK Tea Correspondent--just brought it to my attention that I've got some competition in the blogging world. Oh yeah.


Tea or coffee? It is a tea blog.


Now, this first blogger (alias HiddenIdentity8--that's about as creative as NotACop15) takes a straight "tea enthusiast" slant--no claims of expertise, just a young woman who happens to enjoy her drinks hot and leafy. This clearly places us in a different category altogether, since we at the Tea Exchange favor the "pretend to know what we're talking about" approach.


Tea Masters Blog



Unfortunately, the self-proclaimed Tea Master ACTUALLY knows what she's talking about. In her About Me she writes: "A Taiwan resident for 13 years, I want to share what I learn from many tea masters." Er...we at the Tea Exchange have conferred with many tea masters too! (If by "conferred with tea masters" she actually meant "performed a Google search and briefly scanned the results.")

In any case, both are killing us in terms of readership: Blog #1's hit count is currently 16,899, and Blog #2 boasts a readership of 119 followers--not including those who just stumble upon the site in their daily web surfing.

Now I'm no marketing expert, but I figured this is the point where I should try to learn a thing or two from the sites that are kicking my butt. What are we doing wrong? (Besides, you know, only posting once every 9 months or so...let's forget about that for a second).

Anyway, I think I've figured it out; and because I like lists, here's a list:


Things HiddenIdentity8 and the Tea Master
Do Better than Mo and Karen
(Strictly Within the Blogging World--Let's Not Go Crazy Now)


----------------------------------------------------------------


1) Try different teas and write about them.


Um...what? Since when is that the point of a tea blog?


2) Take artistic or whimsical pictures of tea cups.


I can do this too! They've got their garden scenes and teddy bears drinking tea... maybe I need to throw my kettle in the ocean and document its turbulent trip back to shore.


3) Write entire posts in a language other than English.


Iyay ouldcay oday isthay ifhay Iyay antedway. Eesay?


4) Wax poetic on the experience of drinking a particular vintage.


...and as I poured the clear, steaming liquid from the kettle, the glorious stream of water cascading delicately from the spout, I leaned forward and felt my nostrils begin to tingle in anticipation. The leaves released a bitter, tangy aroma reminiscent of freshly mowed grass on a warm summer day. As a light green tinge began to grow and spread across the surface of the water like a butterfly in flight, I closed my eyes and felt myself warmly enveloped by the wings of the angels.


5) Tout the medical benefits of tea.


Why, I believe I did this! Feel free to reference my past expose on the dangers of Tea Mania to our nation's health. Always looking out for you, America! (And a similar sentiment for Britain!)

-----------------------------------------------------------



Now, maybe I've been going about this all wrong. If that is the case, my sincerest apologies to all who have been offended by my irreverence for tea and the fine art of tea blogging. I have learned the error of my ways. Please stay tuned for next week's blog, entitled "Seeping Techniques for Oolong Tea: How Long is Oolong?"

If, however, my inane babblings on and around the topic of tea have managed to brighten your day just a little, drop me a line of encouragement. And stay tuned for next week's blog, entitled "Writing Down Whatever the Heck Comes to Mind."

In the meantime, I think I'll go drown my sorrows in a cuppa. My teddy bear will come too.


**************

P.S. to HiddenIdentity8 and the Tea Master: My jibes are completely in fun. You both have fine blogs that soundly whip my blog's proverbial butt...keep up the good work! (And, by the by, if you want to put my link in a posting one of these days, I would be your best friend for life.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm all for you actually taking that trip to remote areas in China and plucking those first buds. Make it Pu-erh country. Then you'll have something to talk about. I'll be waiting. --Spirituality of Tea